Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Guest Post: A Reflection On Elders As Shepherds And Bridge Builders

Merle, shown here with his ram Boots, is both a shepherd of
sheep and an elder/shepherd in his congregation.
My nephew Merle Yoder, an elder in the Covenant Fellowship Church, an Anabaptist congregation south of Gladys, Virginia, shared with me the following meditation he shared at a December 12 service in which another relative, Steven Yoder, was installed as a part of their elder team.

In scripture Jesus is called the Good Shepherd and we are called sheep. After keeping sheep for several years now, I’m realizing that this isn’t much of a compliment. I’ve thought much and observed much as I’ve learned to take care of sheep; it’s been somewhat of a spiritual experience for me.

Many years before the time of Jesus, the prophet Isaiah wrote, “All we like sheep have gone astray.” That’s every one of us. 

Recently I was moving the sheep to a different pasture. I was walking along, the sheep following nicely, but some would trot faster than I was walking and would get a little ahead. Then they would stop, turn around and look at me as if to say, “Oh, let’s see, where are we going?” 

Doesn’t that remind you of us? But here is what blows my mind. Yes, Jesus is the Good Shepherd and we are the sheep, but he calls some sheep to lead other sheep. How is this even possible? When elders are chosen, are they endowed with super powers of some kind? No, an elder is still a sheep. I can think of only one way this could possibly work. Only as “under shepherds” have a close relationship with the Chief Shepherd could they possibly lead in a good way. 

Let me tell you the story of Boots. Boots is one of our rams, almost two years old. He’s big and muscular and looks about half lion; his beard comes down to his knees. He’s a real specimen. But he knows how to follow.

Let me tell you why. Boots was an orphan, one of triplets whose mama died. He was bottle fed from the shepherd's hand several times a day, which created a bond that is still there to this day. Early on,
before our sheep had learned to follow well, Boots was an invaluable part of the flock. You see, all we
had to do is get Boot’s attention and he would come running. Then the rest of the flock would follow as well. 

There is a beautiful analogy here. Boots is a sheep leading sheep. How does he do so well? By being especially in tune with the voice of the shepherd.

In John 10, where Jesus talks about being the Good Shepherd, he says his sheep know his voice
and follow Him. I don’t like shouting, so I use this little horn. (Demonstrate.) 

Steven, for you to lead well the voice of the Shepherd needs to be constantly ringing in your ear.
I Peter 5:1-4 says that elders should “shepherd the flock of God”. This speaks volumes about the
“style” of leading. 

One thing I’ve found is that it is nearly impossible to chase sheep. We’ve tried it a
few times, it does not work. They squirt out in every direction. It is the same with people; it works much better to lead them. I’m afraid there is a lot of “sheep chasing” in our Anabaptist churches today. Steven, you are being called to “shepherd” your flock.

Once our pasture was low and I wanted to lead the sheep to a really nice pasture of recently sown grain, green and lush in the middle of the winter. But there was one little creek to cross. It was so small they
could have jumped over it with one bound. But they refused. 

I tried over and over, to no avail. I even grabbed Boots and pulled him on the other side. But no, this was one time no one followed. 

So what did I do? I built a bridge, put a culvert in the creek and built a little road over the top. The sheep followed me right over to the green pasture. Steven, you are being called to be a bridge-building shepherd, always leading the flock into greener pastures. A sheep leading sheep. 

May God’s blessing rest upon you!

3 comments:

David Weaver said...

Harvey, are you acquainted with the book by former Austrailian shepherd, Philip Keller? A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23. Philip gives insightful Christian perspectives on the nature of sheep under the care of a good shepherd. Recommended reading.

How is Steve related to you? I think this may be the Steve Yoder who sang in the same EMC Touring Choir as I in the 1970s. He was/is a gentle, sensitive man who would make a caring pastoral Shepherd.

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, it's sort of doubtful. This Steven wasn't born till about the mid 1980s!

harvspot said...

This Steven is a the son of one of my nieces.