Pages

Saturday, May 6, 2023

HARDTIME VIRGINIA, Vol. 8., No. 2 Parole edition, Spring 2023

2023 Parole Release Numbers Are the Lowest Ever 

I recently submitted the following letter to the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record:

Of the over 2000 who are parole eligible in Virginia's prisons, the Parole Board released only one person in April, and a total of only 14 since January. This means either the Department of Corrections, with its annual budget of $1.5 billion, is utterly failing to "correct" individuals, or the Parole Board is failing its responsibility to release those who have demonstrated a changed life.

At Buckingham Correctional Center, no one has been released for two years, and of the 95 cases reviewed at Augusta Correctional Center this year, not one was paroled.  

One officer recently wrote, "We are gravely hurt that the Parole Board is not accepting our recommendations. You men deserve better than this, and many of you have aged in prison and deserve to be released." Another noted, "I work here and see you men every day. I know the ones who intend on living right once released. But if they continue to keep you in prison it destroys your chances to be successful upon release."

Also, many "old law" inmates are eligible for geriatric release due to their having aged out of crime, as well as their often requiring ever more costly medical care. Yet only four such releases are among the 14 cited. Are individuals in wheelchairs and people in need of nursing care really a threat to public safety? 

As taxpayers and concerned citizens, we simply ask that the parole board fulfill its mission "to grant release to those whose release is compatible with public safety."

Green Rock Prisoner Files Suit Regarding Parole Board's Consideration of "Seriousness of the Crime"

Steven W. Goodman at Green Rock Correctional Center has filed a lawsuit against the Parole Board for considering "the seriousness of the crime" and other factors related to a person's criminal record as a basis for denying release, stating that Va. Code 53.1-136(3)(a) limits the scope of investigation to only two pre-conditions for release, eligibility and suitability

He also cites the following section of Va. Code 43.1-1555 (A): "No person shall be released on parole by the Board until a thorough investigation has been made into the prisoner's history, physical and mental condition and character and his conduct, employment and attitude while in prison (emphasis mine). The Board shall also determine that his release on parole will not be incompatible with the interests of society or of the prisoner."

95 Up For Parole at Augusta Correctional Center This Year, Not One Released

Here's a part of a letter from one of those turned down:

Of course I got turned down again for my geriatric parole. I do everything they ask to be done, plus take programs they don't ask. My institutional record is clean, with no charges since being locked up. Plus I saved two officers' lives. Everyone tells me I'm rehabilitated and should be given a second chance, so I can go home and take care of my dad. 
I'm almost 65 years old. there is no way I'm going to do anything wrong.They keep saying I have a violent history, but my past was not violent except for one time, plus the Parole Board is supposed to just look at your institutional record, not your past before you were locked up.
My health is also not the best. I have arthritis, eye problems, high blood pressure, knee problems and more.
I just hope they tell me what they expect of me, what they want me to do, and just give me a second chance as they say they will do. - Timothy Rankin

Here are excerpts of letters of recommendation by two of Mr. Rankin's officers at ACC;

"Mr. Rankin has always been polite, with a positive attitude, and is willing to help anyone with a task...He is currently working with Buildings and Grounds as is trusted to use Class A and B tools (drills, cutter, screw drivers, etc.). The DOC is meant to rehabilitate inmates and Mr. Rankin is a great example of what rehabilitation looks like. I am confident that Mr. Rankin will be a contributing member of society and would be welcomed into my neighborhood. He has family waiting from him who will be a great support system for him."

"During my career in corrections Mr. Rankin gives me faith that there is in fact rehabilitation inside our Virginia prison system. He would be welcomed into my neighborhood any day."

Excerpts From Other Letters by Deserving Prisoners Denied Multiple Times

I am so disappointed in the outcome. It took the Board exactly 71 days to make this decision. Now I have only four more interviews left before I mandatory my complete sentence. I wanted so much to get out of prison while I still have some life left, and while I still have some family members living. - L.E. Patterson, Deerfield Correctional Center, denied 21 times 

I recently found out that I was denied parole once again, the ninth time.At age 70, and with a perfect prison record, you'd think they would consider it. And today (2/17/23) I found out that the Second Look Act was tabled also. I guess Governor Youngkin was just giving lip service about how he was for second chances. Not one man has made parole from BKCC for over two years. - Stephano Colosi, Buckingham Correctional Center

What Parole Chair Dotson Told a Group of Men at BKCC May 13, 2022

• Inmates are not just numbers, but human beings.
• Governor Youngkin believes second chances deeply, and told me to be serious about second chances.
• We want to improve outcomes for inmates and their families.
• The Board should listen to all who speak on your behalf. 
• More face-to-face interviews are needed.
* Inmates need to show more remorse, and how their choices affected the inmate's and victim's families. 
• The brains of those who commit crime(s) under the age of 25 are not yet fully developed.
• The Board needs to provide you with a fair and transparent parole process.
• The Parole Board is not serving inmates well. We don't have a fairs system. 
• Not having a home plan is not a good enough reason not to grant parole.
• No crime should exempt someone from parole. 
- notes taken by Charles E. Zellers, Sr., Buckingham Correctional Center

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing to light how we are hurting those who want to be assets to our society. You also highlighted well how the parole board is not doing their job. It is amazing how we spend so much tax money to lock people up and dont want to save lives and money by releasing aging and rehabilitated inmates. What a disgrace!

Anonymous said...

What a disgrace indeed… It gives those incarcerated no hope to look towards a second chance…Virginia Prisons in particular do not have any programs in place that is active to help get inmates rehabilitated they are just holding them there feeding them crappy food and inslaving human lives if a person has a low recidivism rate low prison record (low points) then consider letting the person go home. Warehousing human bodies is sickening and it’s truly about making a dollar capitalizing off tax payers that have to pay out of their pockets for the housing,slop nutrition,and cheap medical care then if those taxpayers have family members you still have to pay for commissary, phone service and internet videos it’s all about a dollar Highway Robbery and they collecting all the money why the families and citizens suffering as well…. Talking about the safety of our community…. Please

harvspot said...

To be fair, there are numerous educational opportunities offered in Virginia prisons, some offering vocational training, but if they can't get released, of what help is it. the current shortage of workers in most of our communities is just another argument in favor of releasing men and women who are deserving of it.

Anonymous said...

When is the debt to society paid? I agree 👍 my son was locked up as a juvenile we have a social worker and a therapist in our family our church is willing to assist in my son's transition yet the parole board feels that he is not eligible for parole an awesome parole plan but they want to continue to deny our loved ones their freedom my son has done 22yrs in prison I'm 70yrs old .they are a group of people w/ no compassion including the governor.

harvspot said...

This is so sad. I have a letter to the editor that should be posted later this week that echoes your lament.