Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Viewing The World Through a 14" x 27" Window

I found this reflection by my friend Jonathan White beautiful.
(photo is from our front yard)
As I stand here looking outward across the view from my prison cell window, something I have become accustomed to doing the 41 years of my incarceration, the view is always heavenward. A window barred with steel and shatter proof glass (378 square inches) is a reminder of my restricted freedom. 

Yet my eyes see the seasonal wonders that God has graced our lives with from without and here within. The leaves of the multiple trees on the hillside change their colorful coats when winter fades to spring, summer brings in the many shades of green and earthly floral brilliance, and fall awaits its call to start this wondrous cycle all over again.

"Freedom that is neither bound by man's judgmental control nor harnessed by any restrictions that injustice breeds is known as grace and mercy!"

I see the shadows from the clouds dancing across the vast open sky before the warmth of the bright sun, the wildlife racing to build and repair their nesting places, or searching for food to feed themselves and their young. Once in a while the yellow finch will appear and an eagle or a hawk will glide gracefully from on high. Or I hear ravens and crows squawking with one another about the latest open dead animal grab market meal lying lifelessly in the field that needs their professional sanitation clean up services, as if only they and the buzzards had the contractual rights to perform. Not knowing that worms have begun their feast long before they finished their bipartisan debate over who has first dibs at the plate.

"One man's trash can become another man's treasure, and so is it in the laws of nature."

I am reminded of the words written in Proverbs 4, "My son, pay attention to my words; listen closely to my sayings. Don't lose sight of them; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and health to one's whole body. Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life... carefully consider the path for your feet, and all your ways will be established."

Recently, in several discussions with my estranged family and men in this incarcerated life I have heard the painful echo of what "homelessness" does to men and women who remain inside these prison walls, and what fences for decades do to their quality of survival and how it disenfranchises them from having a meaningful life upon reentry, without support networks willing to aide or assist them in their transition from prison life back to civilization.

I watched a fellow prisoner who once lived on the streets as a homeless person prior to his incarceration dig through the mess hall trash cans in search of more food to eat, items other prisoners discarded from their plates. I offered him my meal tray out of concern for his health and he refused it. When he explained his reasoning for not taking the meal he said he didn't want to lose sight of where he came from when his hunger pains touched him throughout the night in his prison cell with no commissary, no job assignment, and no support from anyone outside of the prison system who cared. Because upon his release (discharge or parole) he would be homeless and on the streets again.

"Yes, I too understood his projected reality. I too understood that without a family support system, or, a transitional reentry program available upon release. I too would face that same dreaded homelessness."

In Matthew 6:25-34. the cure for anxiety is simply, "Therefore don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." How hard this faith walk becomes when the reality of life comes crushing down on our doorstep. Yes, it takes great faith.

PSALM 71: 17 & 18. "God, You have taught me from my youth, and I still proclaim your wonderful works. Even when I am old and gray, God you do not abandon me."

Well, thank you and all the Members of the Valley Justice Coalition who have continually supported me throughout my incarceration with moral, spiritual, financial assistance and righteousness in my journey to seek a second chance from my incarceration. Yes, I have much to be grateful for in this life. But most of all I am grateful that you believed in me enough to make a positive difference in my journey and life!

Peace/Love/Prayer/Hope/Faith/Joy and Blessings,

Jonathan White 1161021
Augusta Correctional Center
1821 Estaline Valley road
Craigsville, VA 24430

03/18/23

3 comments:

kathleen temple, tailor said...

What Jonathan White writes makes me want to redouble my involvement in challenging the inhumane aspects of the criminal-legal system.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kathleen.

Anonymous said...

This is so powerful. My son is also at Augusta.