Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Guest Post: Another Heartbreaking Story

Jonathan D. White
Sadly, I must inform all of you that the decision of the Virginia Parole Board I received here at the Augusta Correctional Center (ACC) August 11, 2022 was once again to "not grant" my release. No one here at ACC who has been interviewed for parole consideration has been granted parole in 2022. 

My Case Management Counselor, as disappointed as I am, has provided me with reconsideration and appeal forms to file.

I had been interviewed for parole consideration on April 21 by Ms. Tina Bowen, the parole examiner assigned to conduct parole interviews at this facility. Ms. Bowen assured me that there was no opposition to my release and I had an exceptional institutional record of adjustment, along with excellent treatment participation and both educational and vocational accomplishments. She praised my ability to remain infraction free for the past nearly forty-one years of my incarceration in the Virginia Department of Corrections (VDOC) following my arrest on November 19, 1981 and while in the Suffolk City Jail through my trial and sentencing.

I have absolutely no prior criminal history record, so am serving time as a first time offender. Nevertheless, I have  been turned down year after year, in spite of my being a model prisoner and a positive role model and mentor to others here at ACC, and in spite of having earned a college degree while in prison. 

So my question to Chairman Dotson and the Parole Board is simply, “What standards of suitability are being applied in the consideration of my case, as compared to those few (only 43 in this calendar year in all of Virginia) who have been granted parole?"

Here is a part of the computer generated letter I received from the Board:

The Virginia Parole Board recently reviewed your case for potential release on both discretionary parole and geriatric conditional release.

The Board, in determining whether you should be released on parole or geriatric conditional release, considered a number of factors, including but not limited to, whether your release would be compatible with public safety and the mutual interest of society and you, whether your character, conduct, vocational training and other developmental activities during incarceration reflect the probability that you will lead a law-abiding life in the community and live up to all conditions of parole, if released; sentencing information, facts and circumstances of the offense(s) including mitigating and aggravating factors; prior criminal history and information regarding adjustment to previous probation or parole, if any; personal history; institutional adjustment such as your response to available programs; changes in attitude toward self and others; release plans; evaluations; impressions gained when interviewed by the parole examiner; and any other information provided by you, your attorney, family, victims or other persons.

In accordance with Code Section 53.1-155 and in consideration of the factors listed above and information available to us, the Virginia Parole Board's decision to "NOT GRANT" discretionary parole and geriatric conditional release on August 9, 2022 is based primarily on the following reasons:

* Serious nature and circumstances of your offense(s).

* History of violence.

* Release at this time would diminish seriousness of crime.

* The Board concludes that you should serve more of your sentence prior to release on parole.

* The Board considers you to be a risk to the community.

Meanwhile, I thank all of you for helping me to put forth the best presentation I could to the Virginia Parole Board. I am grateful to each of you who has supported my discretionary parole reentry planning and my geriatric conditional release consideration, and who have made your support and concerns known to the Virginia Parole Board on my behalf. I ask that you continue to lift my name up in prayer and continue to express your concerns to the Virginia Parole Board, Chairman Chadwick Dotson, and the still unconfirmed members of the board in a hopeful reconsideration of the decision to deny me parole at this time.

Keep me in your prayers continuously!

Blessings,

Jonathan

No comments: