Pages

Friday, December 27, 2019

On The Third Day Of Christmas--Another Favorite Post From Christmas Past

The Startling Story of the Stolen Stihl

I gave myself the gift of a brand new chain saw back in 2009, a smooth running Stihl 250. Until then I had always gotten by with used ones for cutting our annual supply of firewood, first a faithful old Homelite and later a secondhand Stihl named “Farm Boss.”  When that one finally breathed its last, I heeded the advice of family members who urged me to get a new one.

Some months later, just before Christmas, we had one of the heaviest snow storms ever. Soon thereafter, on a cold day while I was at work, a friendly stranger came to our door and asked my wife if he could shovel out our lower drive--for a modest fee. Among other things, he explained, he had just been awarded visitation of his ten-year-old son and needed some extra cash to buy him some things for Christmas.

While my kindhearted spouse had never met the man before, he seemed pleasant enough, and we did need more parking space cleared for holiday guests. So why not have him remove the snow, she thought, to surprise me and to do a needy person a favor?

“Just return the shovel to the utility room when you’re finished,” she said, “and I’ll have your money waiting for you there in an envelope.”

Meanwhile, she went about her work and only occasionally checked to see how he was doing. A phone call she received near the time he was finishing prevented her from actually seeing him leave, but when she checked everything out, she found the lower driveway clean, our shovel back in its place and the payment gone, so she felt satisfied that all was well. She also excused herself for the extra generous payment she had left for him. After all, it was Christmas.

When I came home that evening and learned about my wife's surprise move, I assured her it was fine. Whether or not his story was entirely true, I figured, it's always better to err on the side of generosity.

It was not until the next morning that I discovered my new chain saw, stored in the aforementioned utility room and with the word "stihl" emblazoned on it in bold letters, was missing. Just plain gone, nowhere to be found.

My wife was devastated, in spite of my assurances that a chain saw was quite replaceable, and that she needn’t be hard on herself. I also promised I would report the missing saw in case it showed up in a pawn shop somewhere and could be recovered. “Maybe I just loved my new toy a little too much,” I joked.

Much to our surprise, the sheriff’s deputy assigned to the case showed up with the stolen Stihl the very next day, Christmas Eve Day. “Here’s your saw,” he said, “Merry Christmas. And just to let you know, the gentleman who took it will be spending his holiday in jail.” Which seemed fair enough, though we couldn't help feeling sorry for anyone having to be behind bars at this special time of the year.

But the story doesn’t end there. Over the next year we had a series of conversations and an exchange of letters with our unexpected friend. We learned he had earned the position of “trusty” in his jail pod and was scheduled to be released December 24, 2010, exactly a year after being locked up for stealing my Stihl.

In one of his letters he wrote, “Yes, it's a blessing to be leaving here on Christmas Eve. It makes me feel special to know God has plans for me.”

Among those plans was to spend his first months of freedom at Gemeinschaft Home, a local recovery and re-entry program for ex-offenders, subject to our being able to raise at least $500 toward his first month's stay.

Our new friend, along with so many others who have ever been incarcerated, faced the doubly daunting task of finding a job, a decent place to live and the kind of treatment and support network people need to remain free of their addictions.

I say, "God, please bless them every one."                      (December 9, 2010)

Update: After several failed attempts at overcoming his addiction, including facing a later charge and twice being at Gemeinschaft Home, our friend is today holding down a job and appears to be doing well.

P. S. As a strong believer in the mission of Gemeinschaft Home, I urge you to support its 2020 Vision Campaign by sending a generous check to Gemeinschaft Home, P.O. Box 288, Harrisonburg, VA 22803. Or you can contribute online at http://www.gemeinschafthome.com to help recovering people get a new start.

Thanks for your help!

1 comment:

MaryAnnYutzy said...

I love this story! Especially since it has an ending that justified the rocky road. I’m glad to know that your “friend” is doing well. How I wish that for some of those we’ve tried so hard to help over the years.