Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

On Never Calling Human Beings "Animals"


God clearly has a heart for the alien and stranger.
Then Abraham rose from beside his dead wife and spoke to the Hittites. He said, “I am an alien and stranger among you. Sell me some property for a burial site here so I can bury my dead.” 
Genesis 23:3-4

Moses said, "I have become an alien in a foreign land." 
Exodus:18:3b
When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.  
Leviticus 19:33-34

For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the aliens residing among you, giving them food and clothing. And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt.  
Deuteronomy 10:17-19

But you shall remember that you were a slave in Egypt, and that the Lord your God redeemed you from there; therefore I am commanding you to do this thing. When you reap your harvest in your field and have forgotten a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat your olive tree, you shall not go over the boughs again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow.  When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not go over it again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt; therefore I am commanding you to do this thing.  
Deuteronomy 24:18-22

Cursed be anyone who withholds justice from the alien, the fatherless or the widow.  
Deuteronomy 27:19 

At this, she (Ruth, a Moabite) bowed down with her face to the ground. She exclaimed, "Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you (Boaz, a prominent Israelite) should notice me, a foreigner?"
Ruth 2:10

Then all the elders and those at the gate said, "May the Lord make the woman who is coming into your house like Rachel and Leah, who together built up the house of Israel."
Ruth 4:11

David (Ruth's grandchild) praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, "We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our ancestors."  
I Chronicles, 29:15a

The Lord watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and widow.  
Psalm 146:9

Let no foreigner who is bound to the Lord say, “The Lord will surely exclude me from his people.” And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant— these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.”  
Isaiah 56: 3, 6, 7

If you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, then I will dwell with you in this place.  
Jeremiah 7:5-7

You are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household.   
Ephesians 2:19

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. 
Hebrews 13:2

No comments: