Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Another Sign of Mercy's Law


We're all familiar with Murphy's Law, the one that says if anything can go wrong, it will. But I also keep running into examples what I call "Mercy's Law", seemingly random happenings that turn out much better than expected.

Take a medical scare I had a couple of weeks ago, when I experienced some unusual rectal bleeding for the first time in my life, ever. I was definitely alarmed at what I saw, bright red, obvious and ominous. 

More than concerned, I called my doctor's office immediately, and was told that my primary physician, Dr. Alan Morgan, could see me at 7:30 the next morning. That seemed providential.

The hours that followed were good for me. I thought about how God-graced my life has been, how few my ailments, how many my blessings. Alma Jean and I hugged each other, prayed for the best and even pondered the worst. It was a time for gaining perspective.

Then a blessed relief. 

My good doctor diagnosed me as having a benign case of ICD 455.0 ("internal hemorrhoids without mention of complication"), which came as a complete surprise, since I had never experienced any discomfort of any kind. Needless to say, I have never been so grateful for a diagnosis in my life.

ICD 455.0. I can live with that.

No comments: