Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Standing Your Ground--Against Watermelons?

"When Smith and Wesson decides to unleash a high caliber cartridge, they don’t mess around."
The above video clip posted by The Right To Bear Arms pro-gun group is meant to celebrate what a .500 S&W Magnum can do, accompanied with the boast, "The watermelon doesn't have a chance."

Of course not. Nor does a human being when fired on with this kind of weapon.

I found it chilling to see the red flesh of a ripe melon splatter in all directions with each shot in this clip. Maybe it reminded me too much of the horror of a neighbor of ours shooting himself some years ago, leaving a horrific shattering of blood, brains and skull fragments to be cleaned off the walls and ceiling of his bedroom afterwards.

I grew up on a farm, with guns used on occasion for hunting, butchering and/or for varmint control. But I have never really enjoyed killing any of God's creatures--or even just blowing stuff up--as some kind of entertainment. I have lots of friends who love hunting, but I sometimes kid them about whether it can really be considered a "sport", since only the hunters are armed.

And don't even get me started talking about training combatants to take aim at each other in that awful form of carnage we call "military conflict". When you think about it, isn't that just plain, barbaric lunacy?

Watch the video and tell me what you think.

No comments: