Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

All We Have is Love

 We just returned last night from being at our brother-in-law Vernon Zehr's memorial service at the Greenwood (Delaware) Mennonite Church, a bittersweet time of remembering, celebrating and mourning. It was one of the most moving funerals I have ever attended.

On the return trip, emotions still fresh and raw, I kept thinking about a piece our singer/songwriter son Brad wrote in 2005, and which is recorded on his latest album. He had just been with us for a weekend, and on his way home reflected on what he felt for members of his family, no matter how challenging relationships with loved ones can be:

loveisallIhaveforyou

           love is all I have for you,
           it will have to do,
           if you were looking for a miracle,

           the fact that we’re still here, 

           well that’s miraculous as anything
           that I have seen magicians pull,

           but I forgot the tricks I knew,

           love is all I have for you..

love is all I have for you,
love is all that’s left after the wind has blown the chaff away,
I laugh at what I tried to save,
and disappointment’s just a lens to magnify what might have been,
but none of that was ever true,
love is all I have for you,

I close my eyes, I’m a child by the water,
casting stones so circles spread,
then blink twice, and we’re old on a park bench,
watching birds eat scattered bread,
in between we lost track of time,
but she is kind enough to remind us..
the little space between goodbyes is really only pocket-sized,
I carry you around with me in case I need some sympathy,
this fear that we’re not good enough will disappear when morning comes,
‘cause none of that was ever true,
love is all I have for you..
miraculous as anything that I have seen magicians do,
but I forgot the tricks I knew,
love is all I have for you…
In the end, love is what endures. More than even faith or hope, love never dies. It's what we have left after everyone and everything else is gone.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Harvey, thank you so much for these moving blogs about my father and the funeral. Please send me your e-mail and I will send you the eulogy and the poem Placebo Faith
Knussbaum11057@comcast.net