Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Guest Post: A Request For Congregational Sponsorship Of A Parolee

We should not only ask "What Would Jesus
Do?" for the incarcerated, but what should
we do if he himself were behind bars?
This is from my colleague Wynonah Hogan, young co-chair of the Shenandoah Chapter of Aging Persons in Prison:

"…I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."  

- Matthew 25:35-36

John Wright is a 90-year old prison inmate who has been incarcerated for over 40 years. Now, at the end of his life, he would like to return to society and spend the rest of his days as a normal citizen. But he, like many of his peers, has no family or friends available to help him make that transition. Without a place to go and a network of support, the Virginia Parole Board is likely to deny him his freedom once again. 

John’s only hope lies in the compassion of God’s people. He urgently needs a congregational family to welcome him into society. John is eager to participate in such a community upon his release.

This would involve the following for a one-year (12 month) commitment: 

• Welcome Mr. Wright into the congregation, providing him with transportation/access to services. 

• Provide money or in-kind donations for basic needs like clothing, etc.

• Provide temporary housing (1-2 months) for him in the home of a family or couple. John is eligible for Social Security, so he could pay for room and board once his application is complete. APP-HRC will assist the sponsoring congregation with a long-term care and housing plan. 

• Provide two or three members of the church as support persons. They would build a relationship with him through correspondence until his release from prison, and provide him with transportation, paperwork assistance, and emotional support during the first year after his release.

Mr. Wright is in relatively good health for his age, although he is hard of hearing. He gets around in prison with the assistance of a walker and performs janitorial duties on a part-time basis. Please consider welcoming him, or someone like him, into your church family!

If you are interested in this opportunity to serve, please contact Wynonah Hogan, co-chair of the Shenandoah Valley chapter of Aging Persons in Prison: shenvalleyapphrc@gmail.com

No comments: