Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

Focus On The Family's James Dobson, In His Own Words--1998 And 2020

James R. Dobson
1998 

"As it turns out, character DOES matter. You can’t run a family, let alone a country, without it. How foolish to believe that a person who lacks honesty and moral integrity is qualified to lead a nation and the world! Nevertheless, our people continue to say that the President [Bill Clinton] is doing a good job even if they don’t respect him personally. Those two positions are fundamentally incompatible. In the Book of James the question is posed, “Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring” (James 3:11 NIV). The answer is no." (On the Preservation of the Family, 1998)

2020

"How will Americans, and how will you, decide who to vote for as our Chief Executive Officer? I have heard from dozens of friends and acquaintances in recent weeks who tell me they will base their decision solely on a candidate's rhetoric, tone, style, or likability. Does that describe your thinking process?

Just now, as I was about to react to that idea, my wife, Shirley, brought in an email that she had received a few minutes before from a friend. It quoted an anonymous statement that gets to the heart of the issue, as follows:

'This is not a junior high or high school popularity/personality contest. I'm not voting for the person—I'm voting for the platform!'

I'm voting for the Second Amendment. I'm voting for the next Supreme Court justice. I'm voting for the electoral college. I'm voting for the Republic in which we live. I'm voting for the police and law and order. I'm voting for the military and the veterans who fought and died for this country. I'm voting for the flag that is often missing from public events. I'm voting for the right to speak my opinion and not be censored for it. I'm voting for secure borders. I'm voting for the right to praise God without fear. I'm voting for every unborn soul that is at risk of being aborted. I'm voting for freedom and the American dream. I'm voting for good and against evil. I'm not just voting for one person."   (October 2020 newsletter)


3 comments:

Doug Amstutz said...

Hi Harvey, thanks for posting this. A fellow in my parent's hometown (Kidron, Ohio) posted James Dobson's words verbatim as his own in his letter to the editor, in the local regional paper. I didn't think he wrote those words and it turns out I was right. In a word, 'plagiarism'. I would have never caught it, if you had not posted this.

harvspot said...

Interesting, Doug!

Tom said...

...being consistent just isn't important for some!