Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

James Glanzer 1949-2014--A Passion For Healing

James Robert Glanzer
James Glanzer, who died of cancer at age 65 on December 29, made an immeasurable impact on my life.

As a friend and colleague from the time I began to work at the Family Life Resource Center 26 years ago, Jim blessed the lives of hundreds of people through his ministry of spiritual and emotional healing and through his many gifts of service as a professional counselor.

Jim lost his first wife Jan to cancer over two decades ago, and developed a special ministry of working with people who were going through experiences of grieving and trauma.

Not only was he a much sought after clinician, he left an indelible mark on the FLRC office building on 273 Newman Avenue the agency purchased in 2000.

Prior to our moving in, Jim stripped each of the oak paneled doors in that century-old, two-story former residence and restored them to their original beautiful condition. Both his hands and his heart were always about restoration and recovery.

He will be sorely missed, and we pray God's special blessing on his wife Sherrill and his three sons Marshall, Murray and Monte and their spouses, and on the three grandchildren, Elijah, Wyatt, and Lola. May his good legacy live on in each of us.

The following version of Psalm 23, from the New Living Translation of the Bible, was adapted and read by his older brother David at his memorial service:

The Lord has been my shepherd;
The Lord has been my shepherd,
 I have had all that I needed.

He has provided me rest in green meadows,
 led me along peaceful streams
    and to lakes where fish abound.

He has ever renewed my strength.

He faithfully guided me along right paths,
 bringing honor to his name.

Even when I have walked, have often walked,
 through the dark valleys,
    through the fearsome canyon of death....knowing you were close beside me,
    I was not afraid,
        when I knew you were close beside me.



Your rod, to guide, and your staff, to rescue,
 have protected and comforted me.

You prepared a feast for me
 in the presence of my enemies;
 honored me by anointing my head with oil.
You prepared feasts for me, and my cup has overflowed with blessings.

Truly - most truly - your goodness and unfailing love did pursue me
 all the days of my life,

and now, I come to live in your house,
    to be at home in the house of the Lord...
            

    forever.
  
Memorial donations may be made in Jim's honor to Family Life Resource Center scholarship fund, or Sentara RMH Nursing Scholarship Fund www.supportrmh.org.

No comments: