Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2024

A Frightening Kind Of Powerlessness

source
I had an interesting conversation in my dentist's waiting room recently with someone who arrived in a four wheel drive pickup with "Don't Tread on Me" plates and a hood wrap displaying an American flag. I immediately saw him as someone I wanted to get to know better.

Our short visit went something like this:

Me: A beautiful day.
He: Another day in paradise.
Me: Yeah, we have a lot to be thankful for.
He: Maybe, if we could just get the government off our backs.
Me: I guess we'll all have to work at making things better.
He: But there's really nothing we can do. The government is totally controlled by the liberal media and the big shots in Washington. We don't have any say anymore.
Me: Except in a way, though, I guess we are the government, like "of the people, by the people, for the people."
He: That hasn't been the case for a long time. Nothing we do can make any difference. That's been totally true for years now.
Me: You really think so?
He: Unless somebody can put a bullet through Biden's head.
Me: You think that would make things better?
He: Well it would certainly help.
Office person: Harvey, we're ready for you now.
Me: Have a good day.

By the time I was finished with my checkup, my friend had gone. I still wish we could have had more time to talk and get to know each other better. But as someone has said, "Talk and facts don't change people. Relationships do."

5 comments:

Tom said...

...you handled this conversation better than I could have!

Anonymous said...

Just WOW!

Carolyn Nowlin said...

Thank you, Harvey, for engaging this person in conversation. I'm afraid I wouldn't have had the heart or courage. Keep on!

The Spokane Scribe said...

Intense restraint, Harvey!

Sharon said...

This article immediately reminded me that I can show the love of Jesus to someone I do not know by simply being kind and interested regardless of what he or she may be wearing or driving. Yes,Harvey was brave to continue talking with this gentleman due to the subject being discussed, but I commend Harvey even more for acknowledging him and I know Harvey handled this with his usual gentle spirit. This may be exactly what this person needed that day.