Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Another Heartbreaking Parole Denial

One of the prisoners with whom I am in regular correspondence is Jonathan White, who has spent over 40 years behind bars and has been turned down for parole 18 times in spite of his many accomplishments, including the following:

• Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from Liberty University
• Associate in Arts and Science Degree in education from Paul D. Camp Community College
• Career Studies Degree in supervision from Paul D. Camp Community College
• Advance HVAC/R Technicians Certificate, Penn Foster Technical Training Program
• Climate Control HVAC/R Trade Completion Certificate, Commonwealth University
• Universal EPA HVAC Certifications 608, 609 and 410A , ESCO Training Services
• OSHA Construction Safety and Health Certifications
• National Association of Home Builders Basic Principles of Construction Certificate
• Blood Borne Pathogen Safety Training Certificate, Commonwealth of Virginia
• Cook - Journeyman Certification, Commonwealth of Virginia
• Custom Shoemaker - Journeyman Certification, Commonwealth of Virgini
• Industrial Sewing Machine Repair - Certification, Commonwealth of Virginia
• Wastewater Operations Training, Sacramento California Wastewater School
• Lithographic Computerized Digital Training, Commonwealth of Virginia

He has also taken an active part in the following:

• Alcoholics Anonymous
• Substance Abuse education
• Anger Management
• Advanced Anger Management
• Sex Offender Counseling and Therapy - SOPAC
• Breaking Barriers
• Life Skills
• Productive Citizenship
• Commitment to Change
• Christian Fellowship Services (leadership in worship and community services)• Speaker for Steer Straight (teen and youth crime prevention service)

In addition, Mr. White has been infraction free throughout his incarceration, with no new convictions or crimes on his record, and has earned favorable recommendations for parole from prison staff and commendations for rendering helpful assistance to them in critical situations. He has also received numerous recommendations from community supporters willing to assist him in the transition to reentry to the community and in maintaining conditions of parole.

In his own words:

The Virginia Parole Board's responsibility is "to release on parole those persons who are considered suitable for release and who will not present a risk to the community."
     I have met these criteria of suitability. My life is forever changed from the failures of my past youthful wrong decisions, and I have been sufficiently punished for the crimes for which I have been convicted and incarcerated.
     To everyone who has been affected by my past actions in life, victims, family, friends, associates and community, I humbly apologize to each of you. I am sorry for any hurt or pain and suffering I have caused to anyone as a result of my actions.
     Respectfully, I seek the privilege of parole at this time. I am deserving of a second chance in living my life as a responsible, productive, law-abiding citizen of the Commonwealth, and I fully acknowledge my responsibility to uphold this granted privilege.
     I want to be a success story of which you can be proud. Most people in my situation become very bitter here because of the injustices they have to endure.  Prison life is a major hardship, and when a person loses everything worth living for, such as mother, father, friends and status in society, it is hard to hold on to the sanity of doing right regardless of circumstances. But I thank God for redeeming my life when all others have abandoned me to these prison walls.

Jonathan Darryl White #1161021 - INM#128952
Augusta Correctional Center
1821 Estaline Valley Road
Craigsville, VA 24430

This is his latest note, sent July 28, 2021:

I just received another denial for release. The decision was rendered on July 22, 2021 for the following reasons:

*crimes committed
*serious nature and circumstances of your offense(s)
*the Board considers you to be a risk to the community
*the Board concludes that you should serve more of your sentence prior to release on parole.

Also they decided both my regular and geriatric parole at the same time. Which does not permit me the opportunity file such in a separate petition. I will appeal this answer because I truly do not believe that none of the answers (denials) here at ACC are deserving to any of us "old law" offenders. Now, I have a new CMC and she feels that most of the Boards decisions lately have been influenced by the previous actions of the Vincent Martin case as well. These reasons are based on a persons crime(s) and there sentence. None of this is based upon the content of the persons overall life changes.

Thank you for your prayers and assistance along this journey and I still remain hopeful that my life will not end in this hell on earth.

Keep me in your prayers...

Peace & Love,

Jonathan

Here's a link to send messages to the Parole Board: https://vpb.virginia.gov/contact/

2 comments:

Tom said...

...and the insurrectionists of January 6th seem to be getting 8 to 9 months. Am I missing something here?

harvspot said...

Maddening, isn't it?