Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Results Of An Informal Survey On How (Or Whether) Some Local Folks Will Vote This Fall


As a matter of conviction I have always avoided partisan politics. I see myself as a worldwide Kingdom-of-God-minded independent, with a duty to appeal for justice everywhere in the spirit of 16th century reformer and spiritual ancestor Menno Simons, who wrote:

“Love compels us to respectfully and humbly show all high officials what the Word of God commands them, how they should rightfully execute their office… to punish the transgressors and protect the good; to judge rightly between a man and his fellows; to do justice to the widows and orphans and to the poor… to the benefit of the common people.”

Meanwhile, I’ve struggled with the question of whether to use the pebble’s worth of influence that represents a vote (an option Simons didn't have) in cases where it might help move the needle in a slightly more just-ward direction. 

So recently I sent an email to people on my address list (a random mix of local citizens concerned about criminal justice issues) as follows: 

In light of having two important local seats being uncontested, that of sheriff and the commonwealth’s attorney, what are your plans for November 5? 

___ 1. I choose NOT to vote. Here's why:

___ 2. I choose to cast a vote for each office, even if a race is uncontested (such as for the sheriff and the commonwealth's attorney). Here's why:

___ 3. For uncontested races, I may leave that option blank. Here's why:

___ 4. I will write in a name or comment if I am not in support of a candidate listed, Here's why:

Only one person checked the first option, but the response I got I found very thoughtful and helpful, as follows:

I have not voted in an election since 1988 when I realized that voting for someone who could either send troops into battle to harm or kill another person, or that they could vote to fund such an exercise would be be counter to what I believe. That is true on both the national and state level.

I do not vote for local officials because they are on the ballot with persons who I described above which could cloud my witness as to why I do not vote. So I chose not to vote at all.

Two other reasons I do not vote. First, I have yet to find any candidate worthy of my vote. For example, they are usually either pro death penalty, or pro abortion, which goes against my belief that Christians should have a consistent pro life commitment, womb to tomb. I do not believe Jesus taught us to choose the lessor of two evils. But rather as Christians we are to think on “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy.” Unfortunately politics are not any of these today nor have they been in the past.

Second, and a more recent understanding is that I choose not to get involved with elections because of the divide that it causes  between good people, between friends and family members. We tend to think it is bad now, but it has been that way almost since the beginning of the republic. So I choose to pray for our leaders no matter the party, no matter the office instead of public pronouncements either for or against a candidate.

I also believe that we (Mennonites) have lost some of our witness when we lost the “quiet in the land” preferences of previous generations. Yes we have spoken to governments throughout our existence, but have done so in quiet and respectful ways (I.e. CO status between the wars). In some ways we have become an echo church, one that echoes the culture around us.

Finally, I see voting as different than paying taxes, some of which go for military spending (which is one of the several liberties that the government has as outlined in the constitution, as opposed to the negative liberties outlined). I am  required (coerced) by the government to pay my taxes, but I am not required to vote. So I pay my taxes as I believe the Bible teaches,  but I withhold my vote, because I am not required (coerced) to do so.

One person explicitly supported voting in general, hence chose option #2: I choose to cast a vote for each office, even if a race is uncontested:

I plan to vote. It is a privilege. I feel if you don't vote you have no right to complain.

Several  people checked #3: For uncontested races, I may leave that option blank. Here's why:
  • I will leave the form blank if the candidate is uncontested and I don't think well of him/her holding the office. (Occasionally I've done a write-in as a protest, though.) If the person is uncontested but I more-or-less approve of them, I'll check their name.
  • For uncontested races, I may leave that option blank. If it is a candidate whom I do not support, I haven't perceived that any opportunity to express my preference exists. I have assumed that all I can do is "vote with my feet" by leaving it blank.  Am I missing something?
  • I will leave those blank, or write in Lady Justice!
  • I 'check' #3. I’ve been thinking about what a reasonable person does about the unfortunate divisions in our politics…
  • Our unopposed sheriff is cooperating with federal ICE authorities, but the feds are not following important asylum laws.  This creates fear in our community among many good people and harms community-law enforcement relations.
  • I voted in absentia for the November election... for all the candidates I favored but not for the commonwealth’s attorney, where I left a blank… I substituted another name for the sheriff (to make an ironic joke).
  • I choose option #3 because I don't want to support with a vote a person I do not support for the office.  I very much encourage all people I know to vote.
• I may leave the option blank because I don’t care about the statistics and what’s the point. I will write in a name if it’s an option although… I can’t imagine that would ever make a difference.

The rest of the respondents chose #4: I will write in a name or comment if I am not in support of a candidate listed, Here's why:
  • I will vote for all contested races and some uncontested races. I will not vote for sheriff, however, because of his cooperation with ICE… I'll write someone in.
  • I have felt that some of these current criminal justice officials have not been listening to the compassionate, engaged voices of our local citizens.  It's time to restore offenders to productive, contributing members of our society, not just to soak them in demeaning punishments.
  • Our unopposed commonwealth's attorney needs to divert the many people with non-violent drug charges from jail before they even have a trial instead of denying bail bond.
  • It’s a more specific form of protest vote, one that identifies the kind of person who I think should have run and hold that office.
  • I'll do 4 if I don't approve of an uncontested candidate. But I must admit I often know nothing about candidates for some offices, in which case I usually leave it blank, i.e. leave it to others with more info to make the decision.
  • If the sheriff and commonwealth’s attorney are uncontested, I will write a comment of objection.  Both seem to be guided by a willingness (if not a desire) to punish rather than to restore and to cooperate with federal agencies that hurt the most vulnerable people in society and all of us.

No comments: