Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2019

No, This Certainly Was Not On My Bucket List

University of Virginia Medical Center
What an difference the events of just one week can make.

Friday, June 7: I have a stress test done due to my having some shortness of breath on my daily walks. This was followed by a call just hours later from someone at Sentara RMH Medical Center to arrange for a heart catheterization due to some abnormalities.

Monday, June 10: After a heart catheterization at RMH, I am told by Dr. Pollack I should have open heart surgery at UVA Medical Center for a bypass of a main heart artery, which he told me was 100% blocked and couldn't be repaired with a stent.

Wednesday, June 12: An echocardiogram at RMH shows that my heart muscles and valves are remarkably healthy, but confirms the total blockage in a main artery, and 70% and 30% in two others.

Friday, June 14: I spend the day having a series of tests and consults at UVA Medical Center, including a meeting with Dr. Kern, senior heart surgeon, with whom I am set up for double bypass surgery for July 5.

Needless to say, all of these unanticipated events so close together have given my life a new focus, including adding to my sense of gratitude for all of my friends, family and church family who have been so supportive through all of these sudden developments.

I have also had to ask myself how many healthcare dollars should be spent for such an expensive procedure at my age, even though I anticipate continuing doing the counseling and other work I love, at least part time, for the foreseeable future, along with celebrating more time with Alma Jean and our children and grandchildren.

Meanwhile I can never fully express how grateful I am for the gift of the good life I have enjoyed so far, and the access I have to such great medical and other care that so many other people around the world lack.

3 comments:

VIRGINIA PRISONS ACCOUNTABILITY COMMITTEE said...

We are sorry you are going through these health issues, Get Well soon, I (Dee) will pass this on to William (Thorpe), he has been transferred via Intrastate compact to a Texas prison recently, we are thinking of you, speedy recovery to you Harvey from "Virginia Prisons Accountability Committee"

jhende said...

Wow, Harvey! On one hand, that's terrible news and I am so sorry to hear it. On the other hand, I'm so glad they caught it and can do something about it. We will be thinking about you and praying for you but expect you to pass this test with flying colors. BTW, Happy Fathers Day! Just another reason it's great that they caught this and can do something about it. Your friend, Jim

Jean said...

Thanks so much for sharing his, Harvey! So glad you've had good medical treatment--and that you chose to have that necessary surgery!