Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Installing an Indoor Doorbell


Sometimes we justify a really rude outburst by saying we simply couldn't help it, that the other person pushed our anger button one too many times and is therefore responsible for the blowup. But have we ever noticed how quickly we can change our whole attitude and tone of voice by something as simple as the doorbell ringing?

Like you’re in the middle of a heated argument, giving your spouse or your child a rude, insensitive piece of your mind, and then that simple “ding-dong” sound changes everything. 

This leads me to a brilliant idea I have for a simple home improvement, an indoor button for your doorbell. At any point during any angry, hurtful tirade, anyone involved could reach for the button, signaling a time for both parties to get themselves together, stop attacking each other, cool off, and just speak calmly and politely about how to solve the problem. Which is what you should have done in the first place.

So the next time you find yourself saying something like, “I just can’t help myself--he or she just makes me lose my temper, raise my voice, say all kinds of things I regret later,” remember the power of the doorbell. You can change your tune, modify your tone of voice, and get immediate control of your anger, if you really want to.

Just reach for that simple indoor button, and wait for your good “company’s coming” tone of voice to come back.

Now you’re really talking.

No comments: