Pages

Friday, October 26, 2018

Putting Our "Putting Off" Abilities To Good Use

"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."  
- Stephen Covey

As something of a procrastinator myself, I had a light bulb moment some time ago. I realized that the reason I wasn't getting some important things done was because I wasn't good enough at "putting things off."

Example #1: I'm at work, and need to finish writing up my session notes for the day. As I prepare to do so, I recall I haven't checked my emails lately, which then leads to my also checking my Facebook page while I'm at it. And there's a phone call I need to make about a medical appointment. Then I note I have a voice message on my phone requesting some information. I return the call. A half hour has gone by, and I haven't even gotten started, because I failed to put off my less-important-for-now items.

Example #2: I have an early morning meeting, followed by a busy day at work, so I plan to get ready for bed by 10 pm in order to get a needed good night of sleep. In addition to some prayer time with Alma Jean, I usually do some other reading before settling down for the night. The book I'm into is really interesting. Instead of stopping at chapter's end, I decide to read just one more. Then another. Before I realize it, it's past 11 pm.

Example #3: I have friends at a nearby retirement community I like to stop by to see about every other week. So on one of my days off I add that to my to do list. But there's also some outside work that should be done sometime, so I start on a couple of those projects first. For one of these, I need something at the hardware store. On my way I decide to stop at the Conference Center to get our house church's mail. There I check about an upcoming seminar I might want to register for. And, oh, there are a couple of grocery items I may as well pick up on the way, too, that I'm pretty sure we need. The day slips by. Maybe I can make my VMRC visit some other time. 

Maybe.

So here's my point. We get to decide on any given day what we see as the main thing(s) we want to give priority to. In order to accomplish them, other things must be postponed or placed lower on our priority list. Our success depends on our putting off those things we decide are secondary. On another day, of course, they may well deserve to be on one of our "main things" list.

In summary, we have the gift of 24-hours a day to get everything done that's really important and needed, including getting enough rest and exercise. One "main thing" at a time.

The rest can wait.

No comments: