Pages

Friday, January 26, 2018

Blessed By My Remaining Siblings

I spent some precious time with my two surviving sisters today.
Alma Jean and I, along with my 85-year-old sister Fannie Mae from Augusta County, spent some blessed time at my 82-year-old sister Maggie and husband Alvin Schrock's home in Cumberland County today.

There are only four of us siblings left out of a total of nine, all older than I am except for my younger sister Mary Beth who perished in a tragic fire just over two years ago. My one surviving brother, at age 87, lives in Costa Rica with his wife Martha, loved and cared for by the children and grandchildren who live near them (some live in the states).

The rest of my siblings have all passed on, making me ever more aware of my own mortality, and ever more conscious of the need to enjoy as much time together with family and other loved ones that we can.

Today was made even more special by having all four of Maggie and Alvin's children who live nearby join us for the noon meal (prepared by Maggie and capped off with an ample slice of her baked-from-scratch walnut banana cake, topped with ice cream) and joining us in some family reminiscing and story telling.

As we joined hands around the table to sing and pray prior to our noon meal, I recalled how the three of us pictured above became an a cappella trio that did a lot of singing together (mostly for our own enjoyment) and also had many a great conversation as older siblings left home and we had more time with just each other. These are still some of my very most favorite people on earth.

Oh yes, Blest be the tie that binds. Precious memories, how they linger.

It's enough to make your heart hurt.

No comments: