Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream... For A Big Health Hazard?

A pint of Trader Joe's Premium Chocolate
As long as I can remember, I've always loved ice cream, a treat we didn't often get to indulge in when I was growing up.

Last weekend Alma Jean and I were enjoying some of this addictively delicious frozen fare with our son Brad and one of his apartment mates.

At least "enjoyed" seemed like the right word until I read the Nutrition Facts label on the pint of Trader Joe's Ultra Chocolate Premium in front of me. The "Facts" I read there were cause for alarm, especially since they were based on a serving of a mere half cup (105g) of this favorite dessert:

Total Fat 16g                24% of daily value
Saturated Fat 10g      48% of daily value
Cholesterol 65mg      22% of daily value

This was doubly distressing in light of the fact that I'd like to lose some weight and that my doctor has prescribed some Lipitor to reduce my cholesterol.

Then there was the additional realization that my normal "serving" of this favorite type of dessert is likely to be in excess of a full cup rather than a paltry half.

So, sad to say, my lifelong love affair with ice cream, especially the premium, extra delicious kind, may need to come to an end. Or at the very least, I'll need to check the nutrition labels a lot more carefully in the interest of maintaining good health and a lower weight.

Given the kind of food addict I am, I may need your help to staying on the wagon on this one.

P.S. Since posting this, I've become aware of research that shows that sugar, rather than fat, is the primary culprit in causing our epidemic of obesity. And this product is, of course, is loaded with it. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

No comments: