This annoyed me a little at first, but I came to see it as a very wise question to ask. Obviously not everything presented in a class has the same value, so it's important to know what should be underlined, highlighted and given special attention.
For us believers, the same is true with the Bible. What are the truly basic things we all need to understand and put into practice?
In other words, what will be on our own "Final Exam", one based not just on what we know, or even what we believe, but on how we actually live out our faith?
So for what it's worth, here are just a few sample items for an open book review for our preparation:
True or False?
1. Blessed are those who are rich now, for they will enjoy a life of well earned comfort and ease.
2. Blessed are those who are well fed now, for they will remain satisfied.
3. Blessed are those who laugh now, for they will remain untouched by the world's grief.
4. Blessed are those who are well spoken of by everyone around them now, for they will enjoy much prestige and popularity. Luke 6:20-26, Matthew 5:3-12
Fill in the blank:
1. "What does the Lord require of you, but to do _________, love _________, and walk __________ with your God?" Micah 6:8
2. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your ________, with all your ______, with all your ______. and with all your _________. And you must love your ___________ just as you love yourself." Luke 10:28
3. "I (Jesus) was hungry and you ________________,
I was thirsty and you __________________,
I was a stranger and you __________________,
I was without warmth and shelter and you ______________,
and I was sick and in prison and you ___________________."
4. "Love is patient, love is ______. It does not envy, it does not _________. It is not _____, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily __________, it keeps no record of wrongs." I Corinthians 13:4-5
5. "Finally, whatever is true, whatever is _______, whatever is _________, whatever is _________, whatever is _________, whatever is _________--if there is anything excellent or praiseworthy--focus on those things." Philippians 4:8
What are some items you would add?