Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Jesus: "I Was Hungry, And You Did WHAT?"

I know I can't actually speak for Jesus, but here's some of what I imagine he might say to his U.S. followers today:

- I was hungry and you spent $61 billion on the feeding and care of your pets last year. God loves all creatures, but to pamper your animals while turning a blind eye to the world's poor is just plain wrong.

- I was thirsty and you spent $11.8 billion on bottled water in 2013, which costs you 2000 times more that tap water. Can't you be satisfied with the luxury of having good, safe water piped right into your homes that is of far better quality than most of the world's people enjoy?
And don't even get me started on all of the billions you're pouring into soft drinks and alcoholic beverages each year.

- I was an immigrant stranger and you keep investing ever more billions erecting fences and maintaining border patrol agents to keep me out instead of helping alleviate the desperate poverty that motivates people to take such great risks to find U.S. jobs in the first place. And too many of you have responded with more hatefulness than hospitality even to the children I'm sending your way to keep them from being killed or coerced into working for drug cartels in places like Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

- I was in need of clothes and you just keep buying more and more outfits to stash away in your already bloated walk-in closets. For some inexplicable reason you've chosen to celebrate my resurrection by buying even more new clothes. What's with that? And for St. Valentine's Day you spend over $13 billion annually on Valentine cards, jewelry and flowers.

- I was sick and in prison and you keep turning a blind eye to people who lack health care, while at the same time supporting building ever more prison cages to warehouse offenders. Meanwhile the luxury  homes you build for yourselves, often after your children are grown and gone, are ever more spacious and more elaborate.                                                  - Jesus

" I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do it for me.
- from Matthew 25

No comments: