Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Reports Of My Retirement Are Greatly Exaggerated

Mark Twain's original quote

Occasionally folks ask me about rumors they've heard that I was retiring.

This doesn't surprise me, since, Lord willing, I will turn 75 at the end of next month. And had you asked me my plans a decade ago I would have probably assured you I'd be fully retired by now.

But here I am, still not sure just when I will end my work at Family Life Resource Center, where I've served as a counselor since the fall of 1988. My present thinking is that as long as I enjoy good health and a plentiful supply of energy, I can't think of any way I'd rather spend my time than doing what I do--including serving as pastor of Family of Hope House Church and being involved in various community causes.

Needless to say, I feel incredibly blessed to being able to work at a place like FLRC. The word "family" in our name is what I experience on a regular basis with my co-workers. They are friends and colleagues who are truly great to work with.

And I totally love all of the clients I've learned so much from in my 25 years of working there. They are a gift that keeps on giving.

Having said that, I have cut back somewhat on my hours, giving myself Monday and Tuesday forenoons off and all or a part of every Friday. So I enjoy the best of both worlds, time for grandparenting, gardening, pastoring, blogging and for other things I care deeply about, plus time for doing what I've grown to love, meeting with individuals and couples going through times of stress.

God is good. How could I ask for more?

And now this message from all of us at FLRC:

Family Life Resource Center invites you to our fundraising banquet, Hand in Hand:  Partnering for Congregational Care, Saturday, May 17 at VMRC's Hartman Dining Hall, 6 pm.  Learn about the exciting plans of FLRC's renewed desire to partner with congregations and the community for care, support, and counseling. Entertainment by a cappella group, Good Company. RSVP to Marie at (540) 434-8450 or marie@flrc.org by Thursday, May 8th.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

Love this re-use of the Twain quote with the original writing! Fun. And how wonderful to have meaningful work with a good community of folks. That's been my privilege also and I'm thankful. Bless the work of FLRC!

harvspot said...

And bless you, Melodie, for your kind words and your good work.