|A militia sniper prepared to fire on U.S. agents|
Bundy's cattle were being confiscated because he's refused to pay grazing fees owed to the Bureau of Land Management.
As the situation became increasingly volatile, the BLM issuing the following statement:
"Based on information about conditions on the ground and in consultation with law enforcement, we have made a decision to conclude the cattle gather because of our serious concern about the safety of employees and members of the public."
What a prudent statement, I thought to myself. Even agents of the most powerful nation on earth are acknowledging that armed conflict might carry significant safety risks.
Duh. People could actually get hurt if they start firing at each other?
Since this makes so much sense, you have to wonder why we haven't thought of it before. Shouldn't this be the most obvious reason to rule out war as unacceptable, because it's just not safe? That serious injuries and even deaths are likely to occur?
I'm saying all of the above with tongue in cheek, of course, but surely we can find more civilized ways of working things than resorting to human slaughter.
Meanwhile, here are some facts about the Bundy case posted by Dave Briggman (a Facebook friend who happens to be an avidly anti-administration, pro-gun Libertarian) and which he got from the StopTheTeaParty site:
1) Nobody is taking Bundy property (land).
2) The land in question is BLM land (public land yours and mine).
3) Bundy hasn't paid grazing fees for over 21 years (appx $300K).
4) 21 years ago the land was deemed environmentally sensitive (desert tortoise).
5) In two decades of battle Bundy has never won in court.
6) The Federal Government has a $300,000 judgement never paid.
7) In 1998 Bundy was ordered to remove his cattle (this is 2014).
8) Bundy has been defiant of every court order ever.
9) No one is above the law in America!
10) Bundy was told that his cattle would be confiscated a few months back and warned to remove his cattle one last time. He made the choice not to.